September 03, 2007

Jesus has my back.

When I do a graveyard shift at work I'm able in the middle of the night to take a nap on the couch. Well, it's not really a couch, more of a love seat. I'm a tall girl, it's an interesting place to nap, curled up like a pretzel.
Right now there is a resident who flops around in her bed like a fish while she is sleeping, every night, very loudly. I guess it's better than sleep walking. Now that would really freak me out.
It's a 'one ear open' kind of sleep that I get there. So I guess last night the sound of her pounding around in her room, (wood floors, 'nough said.)probably set me off dreaming. Now, realize, that I have never been afraid at work. These women frequently come in off the street and often there are spiritual implications to that lifestyle, but although I can sense the spirits that cling to them, I am never afraid of them. Why would I be? Jesus has my back.
So last night I had a bad dream while I was sleeping. When I woke up from it I was afraid. For the first time there at work I was afraid. So I did what I always do when I have any fear; I prayed the name of Jesus, out loud, asking Him to come and bring His presence of peace.
Sleeping on that couch the tv is right across the room from me and there reflected in the dark screen I could make out the shadow of a very large figure standing behind me and the couch. He was as tall as the ceiling, at least 12 feet and he had his arms stretched out behind me. In protection, encompassing me as I prayed. I thought it might be an angel or maybe it was Jesus himself.

Peacefully I rolled over and went back to sleep, with no more dreams and no more noises from the rooms above me.

Jesus has my back.

5 comments:

Miss-buggy said...

so cool!

Michelle said...

Awesome.

Dan Brennan said...

Jesus rocks

Mandy said...

that's amazing! wow, thanks for sharing!

Beth said...

What a great story...

Sue, your comment about a childhood nightmare on Hope's blog really resonated with me. Sounds like our journeys have been similar. I'm glad to discover your blog and invite you to visit; either graceeveryday or lookwhatlovehasdone on blogspot.

Looking forward to reading more.

beth