In the doctor's office the other day an elderly couple came in that Dennis and I know from his bible school days. They did not recognize me but I did them. They are both in their eighties and as I watched them I was humbled. He was having trouble with high blood pressure, so they came together to the doctor's. She must have Alzheimer's because he had to keep telling her why they were there. She would ask the same questions over and over. He would patiently answer her and then reassure her that they would handle everything together. She was concerned about how they would get home, he told her they would call friends. At one point she reached across to hold his hand, to give him comfort. . Knowing that he was important to her and would take care of her. This couple never had children of their own but involved themselves in the lives of neices and nephews. They taught many about the bible and God and now they taught me. I saw their commitment to each other. The comfort they took in their shared history. The ease with with they related to each other. Their love for each other in spite of their fraility. The familiarity of each others touch.
My friend Debbie and I have this standing joke about being old ladies together. We've known each other since we were 3 and 4. We have been blessed by a life long friendship. Rob was the one who picked me up at the airport when I first went to Bible College many years ago. He continues to tease me about our experiences there. Scott said to me the other day, 'Did I ever imagine back in bible school or when we started the church that we would still be here, still know each other?' I was so happy to have him perform my son's marriage ceremony.
Dennis and I have been married now almost 19 years. I seems like a long time in numbers but such a short time to really become familiar with someone. Not long enough yet, I still want more. We all have many more life experiences to have together.
I pray that we can be together when we are old, to have the comfort of familiarity when we are sick or frightened. When I'm old be patient with me when I forget where my glasses are. When I can't figure out how to open things or work things or change the settings on things. When I have no teeth or hair and I walk very slooow. I'll push your wheelchair fast for you.
4 comments:
Yeah,she was an easy pick up at the airport...trying to talk me into believing trains counted as perdiddles...you and Deadness will soak your teeth in the same glass to save on polident tablets...split the seniors specials at ABC...be concernd re each others bowels...did you have your prunes this morning dear? You know what happens if you don't...hey look! I found a coupon for Attends...
so now that you're a bowwow, does that mean i'm taking care of you too in your old age :-)
more hairy chins to pluck, and diapers to change
i think i'll move to another country when that time comes :-)
how awesome to have found someone to grow old with. you are very blessed.....
You reminded me of a couple that attended my assembly. The camerons. They were wonderful people.
God Bless
Radlife
http://lifeisnot.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment