October 07, 2004

Hope Floats

Let me try to explain this in the way that God has been showing me lately. The women at Bible study last night were laughing at me as I was trying, not too sucessfully. They said I should blog it. It might come out clearer, I don't know.
Have you ever thought about why we say that. Hope floats. To me sometimes it seems that I have no hope. No hope for things to ever change in my relationships. No hope for my present circumstances to ever be anything other than what they are. No hope for people who should after such a long time of knowing you to ever understand you, to react in a way that strengthens you and your bond to them. I've spent weeks in prayer saying, 'God just help me to be content and happy with the ways things are. Help me to live here in this place.' All of my striving is doing nothing.
I feel that I'm in a deep pool and there is a current that I'm constantly battling. Sometimes there is no hope. I feel that I'm going to sink into that pool. To be with out hope is the saddest thing. You wonder where is God in all this?
But hope floats, it rises to the top of the pool and rests there. No striving, just resting. There is nothing that ties it down, nothing that connects it to the depth of the pool. It sits on the top.

"Hope" is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.
And sweetest in the Gale is heard
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm.
I've heard it in the chillest land
And on the strangest Sea.
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb of Me. - Emily Dickenson-

"This I recall to mind, therefore I have hope. Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is your faithfullness.'
Lamentations 3:21

So, Good morning friend. Whatever you are going through it will not consume you. His compassions fail not.
May your hope float today.


7 comments:

MUD said...

I'll have some of that...2 scoops of hope in a glass of ginger-ale

Susan Kirchmayer said...

ok. NOW we get it!! thanks sushi,for putting our thots into words. HOPE FLOATS!!!!

Susan Kirchmayer said...

you did say "float" not "bloat" right?

Sue said...

Okay now that's a mental picture I don't need...two scoops in ginger ale...

James Goudie said...

haha, that was funny brander haha

bloob blooob bloooob

MUD said...

Did you ever try to bite the bubbles that rise to the top of the bath tub?...BLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgiven said...

i love you guys - they really must think i'm crazy here lol.