I've been extremely blessed the last few days by the presence in my trials of a woman from my church who has come along side of me. I've been going through a hard time, as some of you know. My plate is full with the many things that I have chosen to take on. It was my own doing and I give gladly, but it means that I don't have time for the usual things that I would do for my family. Unfortunately I do not have the kind of family that will support me when I have a lot on my plate. It takes a while for them to clue in that mom is busy and that is why she has not been doing laundry for two weeks. That the reason the carpets are not vacuumed is because mom is not here to do them. They will not pick up the slack unless I specifically ask them, and even then I can not be sure it will get done. My mother would say it is because I have not trained them and she's probably right. Bothers me a lot when the dog does not get fed so she decides to chew on clothing, usually mine.
This woman, Connie, is a good friend but not necessarily a close friend. I know she prays for me and is familiar with some of the issues I have dealt with in the past. She has a busy life with four children whom she homeschools. She really has no more time in her day than anyone else, and does not manage her time any better than anyone else. She just recognizes as I do, that love is a sacrifice sometimes. If it was comfortable and easy all the time there would be more of it. Love in a practical sense would have no bounds to tie it up. That is not the way it seems to work though.
I know in the choosing of love that there will be sorrow with the joy, that in making the commitment I give up more than can be imagined when I first make the promise. Does that hold me back from making it, better believe it does! Sometimes, but thankfully not all the time.
We as a church try to live in community but our only experience has been solitary lives. We are not familiar with the giving of ourselves in sacrifice. The Lord did it, and asks us to do so for each other but we don't know how.
Our families resent the time we give up however unconciously. People in our community say, ' What has that to do with me?' 'I don't have time or space or abililty for that." "I want... I need...' But never "What do you need from me?' 'What can I do for you that will help you during this time?'
Connie has modeled to me this week the sacrifice of time and energy. I hope that I can continue to model that in the lives of the people in this community. Pray for me that I do not get weary in well doing or build up resentments when it seems I am alone in the sacrifice.
Thank you Lord for the friendship I find in Connie.
4 comments:
awesome. i too have been blessed by connie's friendship and prayer support over the last couple of months.
she is an awesome example of choosing love for her friends. when you are falling or struggling, its interesting who rises to the occasion to provide support and love for you.
It is interesting. She's definitely a keeper.
we are all so blessed to be able to call connie our friend. she is a gem.
Post a Comment