September 09, 2004

Old friends

In church a few sundays back we were encouraged to do some things to clean up our walk with Christ. One of them being initiating reconciliation with friends that we had parted ways with. Not long after, an old friend, Robin contacted me. She and I had been best friends for all of high school. She lives in the States but only an hour away. I'm not real sure even why we lost touch. She married a man that she had led me to believe was not the best choice for her, they eloped. I remember when I got her card announcing that, I was stunned. I kept thinking her family must have been devastated to be excluded from her special day. I knew I was. I thought she was always able to be honest with me about where she was at and what she was going through. When I discovered that was not the case I wondered why she would even consider me a friend. She is eager to come for a visit. Her life seems to have changed a lot. She is now divorced, is working in a different profession, lives in a different city. I am really hesitant to open up to her again. The honesty is so important for me. Especially when you can't be in touch that often. I am praying for the courage but it's hard.

3 comments:

Scott said...

i think we all have those skeletons in our closets. it's hard, but i hope it will be healing for you. dance!

Susy said...

wow it just hit me, that just the word "dance" has a whole new meaning for me

Susan Kirchmayer said...

i know - i think "dance" means something different for each of us. we all have to find out what it means to us personally.......