Fridays are my day off.
Typically I pack a Friday so tight with chores that I end up working harder at home than I do at work. Things that didn't get done during the week.
Friday is moms day to come visit because that's my day off. So I go in the morning to pick her up. We go grocery shopping, mostly for the weekend supplies. Sometimes she likes to go to Sears. 'Simpson Sears' as she likes to call it although it hasn't been that for years. Today we went to Costco to get a month's worth of meat that I buy bulk and divide up into portions. She follows at a leisurely pace, pushing her walker, a little behind me and I am forced by worry to turn every three seconds to make sure she is okay. If I get too far ahead she will lose track of me. I jokingly ask her if she wants to ride in the buggy. She laughs and says, 'I'm coming. You just go ahead.'
Mom likes Timmy's so we go there for lunch, drive through, because there are groceries in the car to put away. She's tuckered out by then.
We head home where I unload groceries, divide up the meat and somewhere in between all that take Joel to school. He's taking summer school, which turns out to be more of a penalty for me than for him. The class is easy and I'm the one that has to drive him there in the middle of the day. Which means that I am tethered close to town for the day, so no day trips to Vancouver or Langley. No IKEA.
I head back home to pull sheets off the beds and put on fresh ones. Mom is asleep in the recliner. More loads of laundry, which means folding and putting away too. I've got better at that than I used to be, at least the clean laundry now makes it's way to bedrooms and closets and doesn't sit on the coffee table nicely folded but screaming in my face to be put away for days.
Usually the kitchen is a mess. I've been at work for the last two evenings so the 'boys' have fended for themselves. Dennis takes on the big projects on these evenings which means there is clean-up from that. Today I have to move the deck box from the dining room as he spent last evening pressure washing the deck so that we can re-stain it this weekend. I can't move it without emptying it first. Everything else made it off the deck but not this. I see why when I open it up, it is falling apart and he probably dragged it to the dining room to avoid losing the contents on the way down.
Dennis usually picks up Joel from school on his way home but today he is working late at the plant. Apparently he gave Josh the message but it wasn't passed on to me. I've let Josh take my vehicle and so Joel walks to a friends close by. Sorry, I have no car to come get you. Josh didn't give me the message.
More laundry, clean the bathrooms. Gross boys. I'm sure I trained them better than this. More folding.
Mom likes my cooking so she usually stays for dinner on Fridays. Sometimes we have company but today it looks like it's just me and her for dinner, for now. I wonder if I can get away with doing something simple?
There's the buzzer on the dryer. My fridge is disgusting, I wish that I had a moment to clean it before the groceries got put away. I was going to have a blog contest for the most disgusting fridge. Have people post pics and tell what was really in there. I would have to go first though, and really I have some pride. My heritage is Dutch, have I mentioned that before. I'm a shameful example of a dutch woman, no cleanliness here.
My friend has a guest cottage up the Sunshine coast. Or I could use the timeshare and go away by myself...would that be selfish?
sigh...apparently I get Fridays off.
5 comments:
i relate to this post
i used to get Friday's off and my "day off" looked very similar to yours :)
but now I don't get Friday's off, I earn less money in the country, so I have to work fulltime to earn the same
i miss my "days off"
i vote that you allow yourself time out and go to the friend's place on the coast, at least once a season
I know what that's like. I have a few more days off than you, yet they still end up with cleaning. Maybe I got my laundry thing from you. It sits folded on the coffee table for weeks. It's a step up though from the laundry basket though.
Joel could probably walk, although I'm sure he appreciates the rides.
And I think going away to a time share is a great idea. Go by yourself. It's not selfish, it's self-loving. And if you have been feeling worn out and cranky (no, I don't think you are, atleast not that I've noticed :P) then getting restored by going away for a weekend is something you might just have to do for others. Tell them its not for you, its for them because you love them. If you don't want to go by yourself, then take a friend. Take Misty - no Cooper - let Phil parent him for the weekend. I don't say that in any way to belittle Phil, but I don't feel the word 'babysit' should be used when speaking about either parent. Lounge around the pool and get a massage!! Find a spa that gives you a manicure and a pedicure at the same time. Oh, and whatever you do - eat chocolate!
Blimey sounds really hectic, I gotta admit, I do share with my ex now when I go pick Luke and Ben up for there weekend visit to my house well how I get all the browny points for doing all the fun stuff but she has all the daily grind with them.
I live at my mums still, yes drink left me homeless and well incapable of looking after myself and I ended up back there, now I am unable to get back on the housing ladder because I dont earn enough and I cant even aford rent so I live back at my mums.
My dad has parkinsons, my brother has schitzophrenia and my mum well I try and help her out best I can.
Weekends are always a little hectic but I wouldnt have it any other way, still beats lying in a field somewhere getting cabbaged and feeling sorry for myself.
it sure is an endless, thankless job isn't it. But you do a great job. Whether you think so or not :P
Make Joel walk his butt home. He is young. He can walk! LOL. He is gonna kill me if he sees that comment!
Go to a time share. You SO deserve it. Warning.....I might try to tag along with you! LOL!! Leave the kids at home and the moms take off! LOL! Like that would ever happen in my house. But go to the timeshare. I am sure you would enjoy yourself. Go get a pedicure and a massage. nice!! No one deserves it more!
Hey, I got an idea, let's go canoing. LOL!!
(((HUGS)))
Thanks for all you do! Hope THIS friday is more relaxing for you.
Definitely go rest in your friend's cottage on the Sunshine Coast. :)
Post a Comment