Whatever, I went inside.
Somewhat uncomfortable in my jeans when I saw that everyone else had dressed for the occasion. I sat beside one of my co-workers because we don't work the same days and I never get to see her.
The pastor gave a short message about what baptism meant. How the water represented the grave, how important that makes total immersion. Okay, I can accommodate that belief, trying not to think of the cripple who could not make it into the pool fast enough when the waters stirred, and so had to wait for years by the water for healing, until Jesus had pity on him.
There was special music, which was great because there weren't enough of us there to make a joyful noise. (my sarcasm always gets me in trouble.) 'He touched Me.' I haven't heard that song since I sang it myself to my father as he was dying almost 20 years ago.
I didn't stay for refreshments. (How nice!) sigh, I'll work on my bad attitude.
I know that my church has a different way of doing things and different does not always mean better. It just confirmed to me that I am where I belong because I was no longer comfortable in that setting. Not because of me, but because of the people that God has called me to minister to. They would never have been comfortable there, if they had even got past the well dressed man at the door.
I came across this video the other day, I don't even know who this band is, whether they are Christian or not. It doesn't matter to me any more. I know that what they say appeals to the spirit in me, Christ's spirit. The same Christ who ate with tax collectors and prostitutes, lawyers and politicians.
I've been to all kinds of Christian gatherings, I suppose they have their place. After all, the wedding I was just at was a Christian gathering too, and it was very meaningful. (pp ed. I'm not saying that other churches don't have meaningful services, don't get your knickers in at twist. I grew up in a church just like this one, exactly like this one, 30+ years ago. ) I know now that I would do things differently, that my 'church' would see this event in a different way. To me this is good baptism music.
2 comments:
The band is good charlotte, although I'm not sure what the song is called.
Great tune
Post a Comment