November 21, 2004

Hannah

I was telling a friend that I really miss having an alter in our church. We don't have one because we meet in a theatre. We don't have our own building and I don't see that we will have one in the forseeable future. It is just not a priority for us. Hungry people to feed and all that. I have a lot of respect for that but it still leaves us without an alter.
As I told her I sometimes need to go through the physical motions of approaching the throne, telling God about my troubles and then turning around and leaving them there with Him. I do so every time I pray but there is a symbolism in the alter that I miss. My alter in the past has been my living room floor but I rarely have the house to myself these days. Never would have thought that one of the traditions of my religious upbringing would be so meaningful to me today. It was a source of pride, I believed those things were left behind for something bigger. Oh that pride!
I can relate to Hannah sometimes. She made a specific journey to the temple, a place where as a woman she only had limited access. Sometimes approaching that alter takes some courage. Her problem was enormous to her and her tears reflected that. I understand her sense of hopelessness. She knew who to turn to, that God would meet her there. I know that today we have the benefit of the Holy Spirit with us all the time. She would not have had that comfort.
It is amazing to me that her faith was so big, she gave back to God the very thing that He had answered her prayers with.
For today I continue to pray for that which I desire. I know who to go to. I pray for the courage to approach and leave it there. To trust that He has everything under control.

1 comment:

Susan Kirchmayer said...

hmmm... good idea. where could we have an altar? maybe a prayer area in the theatre on sunday mornings. the back or the side??? let's dream....