At the bow wows last night Susan was talking about joy and it's expression. How we can be silly and childlike in our joy. (This group has absolutely no problem with that. In fact I think the women of our church in general have no problem with this.)
One of the things I enjoy the most is flying kites with my boys. I have two boys still at home, one has married and still lives close by. We have two kites, the kind you can do tricks, turns and dive bombs with. It is such a great feeling to hold the strings and feel the wind pulling at your arms. We had to laugh in San Diego on the beach Joel scared the bejesus out of some seagull that got too close. Very funny. The guys in the lifeguard tower were laughing over the P.A. system, they saw it too. Joel is the kind of person that can not be embarrassed, he keeps us laughing. Josh is quieter, not as likely to be silly but quick with a laugh. He's very smart and like his dad sees humor in odd things, the irony is that you wonder why the truth of it has evaded you for so long. The oldest James is loud and boisterous, he remembers everything he hears. The day of his wedding I smiled through the whole day. Being with them, flying the kites with the wind in my face, brings my joy to the surface. Dennis usually just sits and watches us, I think he finds great joy in that. He says we delight him.
My close friends would say that I have no trouble being silly and making them laugh. If they only knew how much I hold back. Well maybe they would be thankful for that. hmmm
Anyway I've decided that God gave us that joy, that child-like-ness. He must find great delight in seeing us enjoy life. Spashing in puddles, dancing like no one is watching, catching the wind on the wings of a kite, laughing with your children. He delights in us. I like that. The idea that I could give Him joy just by being who he created me to be, by expressing it. Why would I hold back, I live for an 'audience of one'. So if you paint then paint for Him. If you write then write for Him, if you dance then dance for Him. And when you laugh...well..... you get it.
5 comments:
amen, amen, amen. here's to being childlike...
i'm still holding back too... but the day is coming.
now i see where your kids get it from
if you're holding back - why are you? be free and let 'er rip.
I've been in Sushi's company when she's let 'er rip. A word to the wise...COVER YOUR EARS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment