January 09, 2007

hugs and male bonding

Somehow the bonus of having all these boys was learning all about male bonding practices.
I shouldn't need to say more about that....

So we pick up Josh at the Bellingham airport and he and I hug each other for a good long minute while I lost it and we both shed a few tears and Dennis stands by, patiently waiting for his turn. (Gotta love that in a man.) We aren't far down the road before Josh is telling us how they recycle air on the planes, so he had to contribute something of himself.

We get through the border okay, letting them know that we will be back for the suitcase that the airline misplaced and will be couriering to the border for us. Joel greets us at the door with the words 'welcome home' written in black felt marker across his naked ass. sigh. James and Nicole phone a little later asking to come over just so that James can give Josh a punch in the arm, but they take him out for a special dessert just to spend more time with him.

Tonight Phil and Misty came over for dinner and I notice that just like me Josh can't hold that baby without giving him kisses. He tells Cooper how much he's missed him. He didn't hesitate to clean the spit-up off the floor either. Gotta love that in a man too.

In all honesty though we are an affectionate family. Josh keeps coming back for more hugs. I laughingly asked him when he was going to stop that and his response was when he had enough. He can't go out the door or to bed without giving both Dennis and I a hug. It reminds me of when the boys were young and they would all give me a kiss and a hug before going out the door to school in the morning. The best way to start the morning.

It's great having all the kids together for now. This week is going to go by way too fast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My boys are 14 and 15. The 15 year old still hugs back and wants me to sit with him just before he goes to sleep. The 14 year old still comes for a hug. I hope that never stops!!!