November 27, 2006

preparing for advent

We have had a huge snowfall in the last 48 hours so I decided to walk to work rather than ask any of my family to help me dig out the truck from the driveway. Who was it that decided we needed such a long driveway for this property anyway. Don't feel sorry for me, it's not a huge distance to walk for me to get to work. The only reason I drive is I am either coming or going at 11pm and Dennis doesn't like me walking at that time of day on my own. Sounds good to me, and it's a perfect excuse for continued laziness. (It takes me 30 seconds from the time I leave my door to get to the parking lot of my work. sigh, berate me later.)

He doesn't offer to walk with me, I notice.

It was pretty daring of me to even get out the front door because earlier in the day I had ventured out and before I had even taken a second step I was sitting on my tush on the front step. The 'kids' had left the crazy carpet out the front door, it was covered by the continuing snowfall and I just had to step on it.

ATTHISAGEONEDOESNOTFALLGRACEFULLYONONE'STUSHANYMORE!

The snow is fun, I guess. It certainly has stopped the steady stream of strangers knocking on my front door asking if they can take away all that awful firewood, (ack- ack) from my front lawn. At least the ones who ask. Right now no one is tempted to steal my LOVELY firewood because it is covered with snow and has become some alien life form living under a pristine white blanket that I hope will bite any hand that tries to reach under it and cart it away.

Anyway, I digress.

I walked to work last night and it reminded me of when I was living in Saskatchewan and my friend and I would take late night walks in the snow to the place that sold Slurpee's. Can't remember what the name of that place was. Maybe Deb or Rob would remember. I loved the walks but wondered at the mentality of someone who would walk through -30 degree weather for an ice cold sugar syrup concoction that costs an arm and a leg. I opted for a coffee or hot chocolate.

There is something about a world covered with snow, lit by the street lamps along the way, silent and biting with cold that waits for discovery. Each step echoes the sigh of the snow under my mukluks. Breath warms my cheeks, and nothing else, as the trees creak and bend in the wind. It is like nature is trying to cover up a secret. Most would stay inside, out of the cold. With all the shyness of a bride she forces them in so that she can perform her most daring moment. Into this scene a child comes quietly in the night, while others are distracted by the warmth of their fires.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Yup, days of falling gracefully are definitely gone! As are the crazy days of drinking(and walking with freezing hands) Slurpees all winter.

Anonymous said...

I love your last paragraph... that was very moving.

MUD said...

It was the Snow Hut. Has 26 years dulled your memory that bad or was your head somewhere else and you hit it when you fell as well? ;-9

Sue said...

Thanks Rob. I knew I could trust you to not only give me the name but not let the lapse in memory go by. Greg did talk about dark places that one Sunday, didn't he?

shari said...

The peacefulness of the world blanketed in snow always makes me think of being surrounded by the wings of angels, adorned in God's love and peace.

Erin said...

I hope your tush has recovered :)