When the women come to us at the house they are fresh from their addiction. Crystal meth, crack, cocaine or heroin, it still clings to them. They are weak and confused. Often skinny and malnourished, their hair hangs limp and their eyes reflect a spirit of death. The death of their sin comes out of them as though they are rotting from the inside out. They are walking dead women.
But there is a resurrection that happens as the fragrance of Christ surrounds them. As they learn more of His great love for them. I am always struck by my own fear of that spirit of death in them, when they first come to us. Then, over and over, I am amazed by the miracle that happens as their true beauty comes out. The beauty of a life redeemed. I see the work of his spirit in them every day and am often humbled by it. That he saw before we ever did the true value of each and every one of them.
I wonder sometimes why we as christians who have know of his love for us would ever want to return to that body of death. The sin that was ours, that he delivered us from.
The hardest thing I have ever done was to walk away from my father's grave and leave his body there in the cold, snow covered ground. It was the last day of 1987, New Years eve, and I was horrified with the thought that I had to walk away and leave him there. Sobbing as I turned to go, others assured me that he was no longer there. It was only the shell of him that we were leaving. But it was all I had known of him. What kind of choice would it have been for me, in my great love for him, to have climbed into that grave with him and bound myself to his dead body?
When we return to our sin we go back to the grave of that dead man or woman, we climb inside and we bind ourselves to that rotting shell. That empty, cold flesh of what we had known and were familiar with. Why when we have known the sweet fragrance of his mercy would we ever choose to do that? I pray for God to give me the wisdom to see my own sinfulness, to break the ties that I've used to bind myself to the body of my sin. That body of death.
King of Glory
Verse 1
I stare at the cross cause without it I’m lost
And I believe I’m healed by Your blood,
saved by your love
And You shelter me
It’s amazing the power You hold
I give you my heart and my soul
Chorus
King of glory, You are holy
Take my hands, take my feet
Take my voice, as I sing
Lord of heaven, Hallelujah
Precious Jesus, Hallelujah
Verse 2
Imagine a day when our faith is replaced
With a glorious sight
Of angels in chorus as You stand before us
In perfect light
We will join in the anthem of praise
With every breath we will say
Bridge
You lived and You died
To bring us new life
Sweet salvation
Clothed in majesty
God of everything
Written by: Josh Bates, Chad Cates, Michael Boggs
2 comments:
"Why when we have known the sweet fragrance of his mercy would we ever choose to do that?" That got me thinking. Not sure how to put it into words. Maybe it is because it was "easier" for us to control. Easier to manipulate and put something to the words. I am sure I don't make sense.
Wonderful post. Powerful in so many words. YOu have given me something to think of. Thank God for our King of Glory!
This was stunning. Thank you for your beauty. You are wonderful and loved. :)
Post a Comment