January 07, 2006

I like having time to myself. As much as I like people having a house with no one else in it is rare. There's always someone around. It used to be that I didn't like to be on my own. I'm the youngest of five, there was always another person around. When Dennis is away or working, friends say, 'Come on over so you don't have to be alone.' Not too likely. I'm going to enjoy the time to myself, no one to distract me or demand attention. Joshs' schedule is all over the map, coming and going at the oddest times, it is constantly changing. While Joels' is more consistent he still decides whether he goes to school that day or not. (He has trouble with migraines). When the kids were younger it was not unusual for me to take them and go camping on our own, or to visit relatives. I envy that time now, that Dennis had to be in the house on his own. No spouse, no kids.

I go through phases where I talk about getting away, well, running away to be exact. Truth is that I think about it all the time. My obsession has become the pursuit of time to myself. I like my own company. I work well on my own. I like to be able to pray out loud without someone thinking I am talking to them. Or cry without anyone knowing. Wondering if I'll be okay. Yes, I'll be okay, I just need to let this out!

I think I crave it so much because of my hunger to hear His voice. I'm sure that is why He speaks to me so much in my dreams, it's the only time that I am quiet and have no distractions. That I am not so busy. I am thirsty, and like the sheep I need the still waters to drink. My deepest desire is for more of Him, more of His spirit, more of His truth. I am greedy with the need for it. Wanting to drink, deeply.

4 comments:

Susan Kirchmayer said...

there's a room here. its fairly quiet and i can just do my own thing. you don't need to talk to me. there's cool places to walk along the dike, a cosy room....

Hope said...

I have had the house to myself since Friday evening. It's the first time in three weeks. I need the quiet to get my bearings again. I never realized how much I could have used this solitude when I was in the midst of raising kids. I pray for you to get some much needed solitude.

so i go said...

wow.. you've hit on a lot of truth here, and put words to the feelings i've been having.

i think if we all made your last three sentences our 2006 resolution, we'd eventually look back on a great year..

shari said...

I have always wanted to just schedule little weekend getaways by myself. Time to jump in the car, listen to whatever music or programming I want, or nothing at all, and drive until I am in a new place. Then just be still for a couple of days. A book or two maybe... some walks both in solitude and getting lost in a crowd. Time for refreshment for my body, my emotions and my soul. Time to get back to me. Time to be quiet and still long enough to curl up in my fathers arms and just be his child.

sigh

a girl can dream.