June 18, 2005

Fathers Day.

Saw a movie tonight with Deb and Misty. "The Perfect Man". Pure fiction , of course.
No, actually it was very cute. Made me think though about what would be perfect for me. Had all these ideas as a teenager what my perfect man would be like. Even made a list. (oh, come on, you all know you made a list!) Haven't got a clue anymore what was on that list. It's been overshadowed by the reality of what my life is like and who God has brought me.
He's not perfect, and do you know that's just, well, perfect for me. He has done some growing through our marriage and thankfully so have I. I can't imagine sharing my life with anyone like I've shared it with Dennis.
So it's Fathers Day tomorrow and I always am thankful for Dennis but especially on this day. It's not every man that would take on someone elses child and raise him as their own. I can still remember in the lawyers office when it came time for him to sign the adoption papers. I first had to sign James off as available for adoption, and then we signed papers together as a couple to adopt him. It was symbolic too, I had to give up my sole rights as a parent to share James with Dennis. Freaked me out more than a little bit. The reality of it. That I would no longer be the only one responsible for the raising of that child. That I could finally share him with someone else, who would love him like I did. But God is faithfuland good, He knew what I needed as well as what James needed.
So I am thankful for Fathers too. Fathers like Dennis.
Happy Fathers Day, Den. I am so thankful for all you have done and continue to do. I love you.

5 comments:

Miss-buggy said...

That is so cool Sue. Men like Dennis are few and far between and very precious. Phil's dad and my dad are like that too. I am grateful for them.
Phil is my perfect man and I totally can't picture my life with anyone else.
Happy Fathers day to all those fathers out there!!

Susan Kirchmayer said...

yup - he's a keeper! you are very fortunate to have found someone especially for you. it doesn't happen often.

Erin said...

What a perfect picture of abiding love! You're all blessed to have each other...

Nikki said...

How cool is that??!! I didn't know that Dennis had adopted. I'm all for that! Neat-o! :)

shari said...

Thats beautiful. I have tears in my eyes! =)