December 27, 2004

Rest

I am realizing more as I go along in this journey that I don't get to sit in the glory seat for very long before God moves me toward something new again. You know that place where you feel you have arrived to a new level of understanding or victory in the battle. That place where you get to rest for a while and experience the joy of having "got it". That place where you can raise your fist in the air and declare a loud 'yes'.
He doesn't let me linger there. I would just become fat and lazy I guess. I imagine it is the curse of this world too, that there are more battles to be fought and not much time between to recover. My tendency is to want to stay there, make a home and plant a garden.
I had a dream once that upon waking I realized was a gift from the Lord, a small taste of what heaven will mean for me. I had walked into a garden. The air was warm on my skin and there was a fresh fragrance in the air. The grass was long and I knew that it would stay that way, there was no urgency to cut it. I could feel the softness of it around my ankles. There were birds and flowers in the distance and the sound of water flowing softly.
The realization had just made its way into my thoughts that it was heaven when I woke up.
I tried desperately to get it back by falling back into rest but could not make even the sense of it return. I want to go there again.
He urges me to press on. I have not found my way back there yet. It will come though, and there I will be able to rest. I know I will find Him there and I will go to Him and press my head onto His knee, and there I will rest.

2 comments:

Susan Kirchmayer said...

and that hope keeps us battling on!!

MUD said...

Get back in that garden...there's pruning to do!